Year-End Teacher Gift - Fabric Class Tree

>> Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I had the opportunity to spend some time talking with Nani's teacher while we were on a recent school field trip.  I learned that Nani's class was her first class - ever.  She is an amazing teacher and did an amazing job with the kids this year.  I wanted to do something special to mark the end of her first year of teaching.

While browing craft blogs one night, I came across this site - Twin Stitchers.  They have these adorable patterns that you trace, stitch, and then color on muslin fabric.  I just loved their products and ordered the family tree pattern.  I knew I didn't have enough time to stitch the whole thing - plus I wanted this to be something that Nani did.  So instead, I thought we'd just trace the whole thing in crayon and then color in as needed.



Pattern - traced on muslin fabric with a permanent fabric pen

Starting to trace outlines with crayon

Helping out Nani when her arms got tired

Doing most of the work by herself







When we were done, we went out to JoAnn Fabric to find a frame and mat.  The finished fabric was a little too big for a standard mat, so the nice framing lady custom cut one for us for $3.  Then we found a great red frame for 50% off!  When all's said and done - I stayed under my $30 budget of a year-end teacher gift!

I think I'm more excited to give it to her than Nani is!

13 comments:

Holly May 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

I absolutely LOVE this! As a teacher, I would love to have received this. What a wonderful keepsake to hang in my classroom for years to come!

Amanda May 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

She's going to LOVE this and cherish it forever! (I hope it was a good class) :) As a former teacher, if someone would have done this for me, I would have been a blubbering fool upon receiving it. Great job!!

Jenn @ Coolest Family on the Block May 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

That is just so cute, sweet, and thoughtful! I bet she leaves that hanging in her room forever :) I love sentimental gifts like this. Great job!

Coley Ru May 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM  

This turned out DARLING! I love that your tutorial includes your kids doing the project! Thanks for your sweet e-mail!!! Coley

Anonymous May 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

What a sweet gift!!

Helene May 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

That is THE nicest teacher gift I've ever seen...it sure beats the classic coffee mug!!! She's going to love it, especially because you and Nani put so much heart and soul into it!

Unknown May 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM  

What a great gift! I am sure she is going to keep this gift forever. You are teaching wonderful things to your daughters!~Lisa

I am all a twitter about life

annies home May 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

very cool and full of talent the pictures are great thanks for sharing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Holly Lefevre May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM  

This is absolutely adorable. I love the effect the crayon makes. What a fun idea and a great way for the kids to help create a lasting memento for the teacher! So glad you shared this via ticked pink on my FB wall!
I am a new follower!
Holly
504 Main

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE June 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM  

I just want to let you know that I featured your awesome Teacher's Gift on my blog. Here is the link:

http://www.thirtysixthavenue.com/2011/05/party-time-3.html.

Thank you so much for sharing it on my link party last week ;)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments June 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM  

What an awesome project and fantastic results! Extra special since it was created by you and Nani!

Blessings & Aloha!
...catching up on some blog reading :o)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP