What I'm Reading - January

>> Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas.  I am in LOVE!  And I am even more in love with my Amazon Prime membership and the free Kindle lending library!

What I've read in January:

Love Times Three



I am fascinated with polygamy.  Not that I would embrace the lifestyle, but I find the whole concept extremely fascinating.  I love the shows "Big Love" and "Sister Wives".  Both are like train wrecks you just can't turn away from!  But not too long ago, I saw this family on Dr. Phil and had added their book to my Amazon wish list.  Right after I got my Kindle, I used the gift card My Marine got me and purchased the book.  I read it in a week.  Now while I don't "get" the concept of celestial marriage or the believe system behind it,  I DO get the concept of the family unit and how close they are and how everything is family focused.  In the end - I did enjoy this book.


The Hunger Games Trilogy



I tried the whole Twilight series.  I really did.  I just didn't get it and it really wasn't for me.  Then along came "The Hunger Games" trilogy.  For the longest time, friends would tell me "You need to read this series" and "If you like Twilight....blah, blah, blah".  Well here's the thing.  I DIDN'T like Twilight.  I HATED it!  (It's ok.....I'll wait while you gasp in sheer disbelief....)  And when The Hunger Games came around, I held my breath like a toddler, shaking my head back and forth saying, No, No, No. 

But I caved.  And I borrowed all three for free through the Kindle lending library.

And Oh.My.Word.

I was hooked.  I was immediately sucked in to this post-apocolypic world within the first chapter.  I could see how people were so consumed with Twilight.  That's how I felt about The Hunger Games.  I could not put it down.  I would read way past midnight and in the end, finished it in three days.

And now I can't wait to see the movie in March.

And then along came Catching Fire and Mockingjay

The second one was just as gripping as the first - and again, finished reading in about three days.  Picking up where the first one left off, the story and struggles of Katniss continues - with yet ANOTHER return to the Hunger Games arena.  Knowing that there was a third book in the series made the ending a little anti-climactic....you almost knew what was coming.  But I enjoyed it just the same.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed with Mockingjay.  It was almost as if the book had to be written.  Good story, but not as gripping as the first two.  I found myself skipping over some pages because they just started to seem redundant.  The ending was a bit disappointing -- and left me wanting to know more.  While we do know what happens with Peeta and Katniss, I just wish we could have known more about what happened to the rest of the character.

So what have you been reading?

2 comments:

MaryAnne February 14, 2012 at 7:07 AM  

I need to read more - at least non-blogs and parenting magazines!

Do you use your kindle fire for anything other than reading?

America's Next Top Mommy February 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM  

do you have to buy every book you read on Kindle? I have an ipad and I get frustrated that I can't read what I want without paying for everything. I guess I'm an old fashioned girl...or maybe I'm just cheap :) I still love the library!

I've heard a lot about the Hunger Games. Let me know what you think!
Right now I'm reading William Faulkner "As I Lay Dying". I'm embarrassed to say that I find it very difficult!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP